Sunday, March 23, 2014

Time to pick up the pen pt. 2

So it started last night. I picked up my journal, I sat in my living room (Jon was in our computer playing World of Warcraft or Diablo or something else) and I wrote. I decided I'm going to write to comemmorate a dear friend. I have images/ideas of what I want to write, so I'm going to get it down as much as I can.

I'm currently staring at 500 words. It's a good start. I started worrying about chapters, length, all of that stuff. Then I realized the important thing right now is to just get it all out. I need to worry about the rest later. There will be long days of editing/critiques ahead.

It will not be easy and nothing may even come of it. But at least I'm writing. This is what I wanted.

I went searching for blogs of other writers. I'm interested in what the processes are for each person. I wondered if I would come across any tips/suggestions.

There was a post I read that mentioned a lot of great points. One of them, one that struck a chord the most, had to do with reading. Writers should also be readers. Then it reminded me that I have currently 5 books started and none of them finished:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Allegiant by Veronica Roth 
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Wicked: The Life and Times of The Wicked Witch of The West by Gregory Maguire

Most of these are series books that I was already a fan of. I wanted to revisit Harry Potter because I grew up with him and his friends (and I'm going to Orlando in May and I cannot wait to visit Hogwarts!)

I got Wicked and and the John Green novel from a friend as gifts. I've seen the musical rendition of Wicked and I was curious about the books. John Green was just a recommendation and the title/plot intrigued me.

I'm a big fan of the Divergent series (still haven't seen the movie). and I went through a whole Jane Eyre phase in high school.

So my goal is to finish each of these books in between writing. I think I'll start with Mr. Potter. I think my issue with not finishing is the same as my roadblocks with writing. I've been in a sort of depression for a time now, and I need to stop. This blog was created as a sort of therapy. I'm going to rediscover myself and everything I once loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment